Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Achieving Childhood Dreams - Part 2

This is in continuation of this post. (Note: It is not mandatory to have read previous post to read this post).
After 9 years of aging was approximately the time I started having more serious dreams (Or rather started claiming that I have serious dreams). Looking back there are a few I did not achieve and a few I achieved and many that I may achieve in future. Few dreams that I failed to achieve made me achieve a few other dreams. But I would not be writing in detail about those here. Those are for my autobiography which I would write if I become famous and successful enough and feel that my story can motivate a few (and on a lighter note this is called positive attitude).

My problem with the dreams after 9 years is that I doubt its originality.

I never felt the need to think what I would do when I grow up. Some overzealous people did ask me what I would be when I grow up. It was probably this that got me thinking. At times on seeing the nice car the doctor had I wanted to be a doctor, seeing pilots fly I wanted to be a pilot, watching Sholay I want to be a thief like Amitabh Bachan. But all this asking had some effect on me by the time I reached high school. The constant questions on “Your Ambition/Dream” made me come up with some presentable dreams.
Now how much do I own these dreams? -- I am not sure.
The dreams are so gelled into my mind that I cannot differentiate the ones that are genuinely mine and the once that got in due to environmental factors.

Probably this is also true about great people like Professor Randy Pausch (Professor in Carnegie Mellon University) who talk about their childhood dreams and importance of achieving it (and empowering others to achieve it). Link here (Note: it is not mandatory to have seen this video to go ahead and reading this blog).

When we grow up and are successful and interested in telling out story to the world we have already forgotten a lot of our genuine dreams. What we remember are the dreams we had as a child which are at least remotely related to the field we got successful in. And then of course few others are just cooked up dreams. As a child we have so diverse set of dreams that often it is impossible to be truthful and claim that we have achieved all.
But yes we should agree it is important to talk about the dreams that we strove hard to achieve. Who knows we may be motivating another Sachin Tendulkar or Abdul Kalam.

No comments: