Monday, June 15, 2009

Friends

I liked A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini quite a bit, at time a bit less than Kite Runner but at times even more. Although the book is more about hypocrisy of men, their MCP and treacherous ways, some thing sweet about men too did catch my eye.

Laila learned that boys differed from girls in this(friendship) regard. They didn’t make a show of friendship. They felt no urge, no need for(show of) ……. Boys Laila came to see treated friendship the way they treated the sun. Its existence undisputed, its radiance best enjoyed not beheld directly.

This is definitely a tribute to all those sun like friends around who bring about all the light in our life and are really unobtrusive about it. They play along celebrating our success, laughing at failures, showing us the lighter side of even the most terrible events and often adding a new colorful perspective to life. When they are far and out of sight they may remain out of mind too. But when we meet, we find to our own pleasure that there is no love lost.

We need no miss-you card
Nor we need any sweet word
For all the decades since we met
Just a big warm bear hug
And a kick on the butt is all we need
To gets life started from where it left.


3 comments:

Soumya said...

I agree with Laila on this regard. And its one thing that I always envied in Men. Feminist do brag about their freedom and their superior position in society.I feel freedom and superioty comes from a persons inner self.
But this sense of unity among the whole race called Men- well I have no hope that we (Women) will achieve it at any time :(

Jackfruit said...

thanks for the word of appreciation for "man"-kind ... you could also try reading this book .. :)

Soumya said...

I have already read it. I don't know if I liked it or not. It has lot of violence and nothing stayed within me after reading this book unlike Hassan in "Kite Runner". I felt this book is like a painting in dull grey. Good? yes. But sad too.